Feb. 26 & 27
Marion Ross Performing Arts Center
147 N. Broadway, Albert Lea
Immortalized on stage and screen, this classic drama tells the story of Anne Sullivan and her student, blind and mute Helen Keller. The play dramatizes the volatile relationship between the lonely teacher and her charge. Trapped in a secret, silent world, unable to communicate, Helen is violent, spoiled, almost subhuman and treated by her family as such. Only Anne realizes that there is a mind and spirit waiting to be rescued from the dark, tortured silence.
WHAT WILL AUDITIONS BE LIKE?
You will sign in and fill out an audition form to tell us about yourself. Don’t worry if you’ve never done this before — experience isn’t required. A script will be given to you at auditions. You will be asked to read from the script, along with others who are auditioning. You do not need to attend both audition nights. If you would like a perusal script to read before auditions, contact us at email@example.com.
WHAT ROLES ARE AVAILABLE?
- Helen Keller – (8-12) Struck deaf and blind by a fever she had as an infant
- Anne Sullivan – (20-35) Helen’s teacher, has a severe vision impairment
- Kate Keller – (20-35) Helen’s mother
- Captain Keller – (40-55) Helen’s father
- James Keller – (16-20) Captain Keller’s son
- Martha – (8-12) Servent child
- Percy – (8-12) Servent child of color
- A doctor (any age)
- Aunt Ev (an older woman)
- Anagnos – (any age) Instructor at the Perkins Institute for the Blind
- Viney – (an older woman) A servent of color
- Blind girls – (8-18) Students at the Perkins Institute
WHEN ARE REHEARSALS?
Beginning in early March, rehearsals will be scheduled weeknights, with some weekend involvement closer to the performance dates, which are April 19, 20, 21, 22(M), 25, 26, 27 and 28.
WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?
ACT is a non-profit, volunteer organization providing quality theatre and entertainment for our community. If you’re not interested in being on stage, there are plenty of opportunities to volunteer in other ways, such as backstage crew, building and painting sets, costumes, props, lights, sound, usher or in the box office. If you are interested in volunteering or would like more information about auditions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.